Search This Blog

Tuesday 27 March 2012

Final Evaluation- How did you use media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?

How did you use media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?

I feel the way in which I have blogged all of my G324 advanced portfolio coursework just conveys the way in which today’s means of advertisement has very much changed and there is an increasing amount of active audiences who use blogging and social network sites on a day to day basis. I really like the use of blogging as I feel it had many more advantages than printing the content off. I was able to be creative on my blog and demonstrate the style of my brand and horror film. I feel that I have linked the style of my blog to that of my horror teaser trailer and ancillary work.  Through looking back at my AS coursework portfolio, I feel it has taken off an enormous amount of stress because at the time I had a lot of printing problems and I think this effected the quality of the final work I produced. It is also a much eco friendlier way of presenting my coursework, which can be appreciated as the environment is becoming much more of a concern within the modern society.
Through the process within my pre-production stage, I developed an intention of what I wanted to achieve from the campaign products that I created.  My aim was to create and advertising campaign that enticed my target audience to want to go and watch my horror film. My goal was to do this through the use of some meaningful horror codes and conventions, but to also reject some of codes and conventions to create a unique selling point for my campaign and the entirety of my brand image for Spotlight Pictures. Therefore to achieve this, my product would have to be fit for the purpose I have mentioned. I believe audience feedback that I have taken through this evaluation, shows that I have achieved this.

Organisation was vital within the research and pre-production stage. Microsoft software helped me to be structured in this by using programmes like excel and power point.  From this I was able to create detailed and accurate results from my audience feedback and present these professional within my pitch presentation via power point.
I feel that the management of production on my behalf was quite poor. On the other hand I feel my pre-production planning was very good and by planning for a contingency week helped for the production of my final campaign to be created on time and of a standard that I felt acceptable.

Within the production stage I used equipment that included a JVC HDD hard disk camcorder and also a tripod. Difficulties I found with this is that sound did not transfer well once I had imported my footage into iMovie. To overcome this I decided to mute all clips and just use sound effects.  In the end I felt this actually improved my trailer, as it is only a teaser and I feel with sound effects it made the trailer more eerie and enticing. Another mistake I made was to film scenes in portrait. This meant that when it came to the post production stage and I imported the clips into iMovie certain pieces of footage were on their side and the wrong way up. This was very disappointing, as when I rotated them they automatically were cropped so that they could fit into the screen. This did not look good, or by any means professional. As a result I had to sacrifice using some of this footage, as I felt by this stage in the production it would jeopardise my final product more, if I spent more time re filming the scenes. A positive outcome from this was that within the production process, I took several takes of each scene and therefore was able to recover some footage that was not filmed in portrait. If I was able to film the production again I would defiantly take this into account, as it would have saved me time and pressure. Below is a screenshot taken from iMovie, which demonstrates visually the problems I had with cropping.


I do believe that a lot of my problems fell down to not having required software available to us when we needed it. Use of Apple Macs was very rare, as we only had a few to share with the whole class and these were needed as it contained the software iMovie, which I used to edit my teaser trailer through the post production process.  This software was good to use because it was self-explanatory and therefore quite simple to use for a type of film editing software. It still did take me some time however to get used to this, however by the end I was able to use all the tools provided on there and incorporate sound text and effects into my teaser trailer. In evaluation I feel to benefit me more I could have experimented with using the software in earlier stages of the coursework so that when it came down to the post production stage I would have been more confident with using the software and therefore could have produced a final product that had a higher input of skills.

I also faced problems with sound levels within my production. As I have already mentioned key codes conventions I found connected with the horror genre was silence followed by sudden, jumpy sounds. It was hard to define the difference between jumpy and loud, because I realised through the process they do not mean the same thing!  As I sourced my sounds from different locations, they all played at different level. Although it was very time consuming, I was able to resolve this within iMovie as you could quite simply adjust the levels. Below is a screenshot showing how I corrected this.

As I have mentioned I used the website design software, moonfruit. I have spoken through the process how this was very useful to use as it was free to users and use were able to use a various amount of tools within the programme. One difficulty I should mention that I had within this programme is the limitations I had with importing images into the different pages. I was hoping to import a wide range of images that I had taken within my website, however it told me that I had exceeded my quota, meaning that there were data capacity restrictions that I had because I was only using their free service. Although I was not able to incorporate all of my images, I feel the final outcome was still adequate, because I was able to reduce the amount of images I used to those of the best quality.



Through the whole journey of this coursework I have experienced technical problems that I feel I planned time for and therefore was easily able to overcome them. One of these was security problems with trying to upload my teaser trailer onto YouTube within college.  This took up some unnecessary time at the end of my production process, but was easily resolved by changing my exporting methods. I am glad I was able to put my teaser trailer on YouTube, as it is a worldwide used site. Figures show that there are over 750 million users registered to YouTube. This may not be a realistic figure, because people may have multiple accounts and new people sign up every day however the large units demonstrate how popular the site is. It is a great way to be able to distribute my teaser trailer, as this is where professional institutions also distribute.


As you can see form the screenshot above I have also created a twitter account as like YouTube this is a very worldwide, popular social networking site. It was important to me to use a range of media technologies throughout and specifically through the distributing process, as I have found that a combination of several give a bigger impact to your campaign and helps with audience feedback.



No comments:

Post a Comment